Welcome to the Church of the Holy Cross, where this Victorian church, in a quiet backwater beyond Pwllheli, holds stories from its ancient foundations.
Many opinions have been expressed concerning the name ‘Llannor’. In one 13th century document which contains a list of ancient Welsh parishes during the time Llywelyn ab Gruffydd (died 1282) Llannor is referred to as ‘Llan-Vair-yn Llyn’. It is likely that the church was originally dedicated to the Virgin Mother and the Welsh form ‘Llan-Fair’ used as the patronage and dedication. It is also possible that local mutation over many years became ‘Llan-For’ and so eventually ‘Llannor’. Not a lot exists of that early 13th century church but the foundations of the nave are almost certainly from this period and the tower is late 14th century. An interesting discovery in Llannor was the one which revealed 3 early Christian inscribed burial stones. The largest and most impressive of these stands in the church porch while the other two stand in the porch of the Llanbedrog Art Gallery, Oriel Plas Gyn y Weddw. The two stones in the Art Gallery commemorate the sixth century missionaries, ‘Vendesteli’ (Gwynhoedl) and ‘Jovenali, son of Eternus’ (Edern) whilst the one in Llannor records ‘FIGVLINI FILI LOCVLITIHIC IACIT’ (the stone of Figlini he lies here). Most of the present church dates from the 1855 restoration, before this, the church probably had a north and south transept forming a central cross, hence its dedication, the Church of the Holy Cross.
We look forward to welcoming you to our church.
Martyn Croydon email@example.com
Lowri Jones firstname.lastname@example.org
"Sunday worship in Llannor church is wrapped in the beauty of the Welsh language."
Martyn Croydon, Church of the Holy Cross Warden